Monday 7 July 2014

STEEL CAGE~!

Matt Hardy vs. Edge - (WWE 9/18/05)
Just pure, unadulterated hatred and I love every second of it. This is quite comfortably both men's best match and that isn't a slight on anything else they've done, that's just a compliment on how fucking perfect this is. One thing I never noticed until this watch was how much of a dick attitude Edge had: When Matt was in control or was looking to build up some steam, Edge couldn't wait to get out of the door, yet when he (Edge) was in control, he was more than happy to be a DICK and beat the snot out of  Hardy. I loved the focus on the head, especially given the beatdown Hardy suffered at Summerslam, and Matt's comeback was a thing of beauty - Some of the best punches I've ever seen and FIERY ATTITUDE that came off as some of the most captivating shit I've ever seen. Matt purposely throwing Edge in to the Steel brace of the cage was amazing, btw. Lita shenanigans were great and Hardy nailing her with the Twist of Fate must have been awesome to watch live and so relieving as a fan, and the Spear nearfall that followed was awesome. I don't know why it's taken me this long and this many watches to realise this, but this match is one of the greatest I have ever seen and nobody can tell me otherwise. SECOND ADDITION. *****

Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard - (JCP 11/28/85)
To people who I talk wrestling with, I often talk of matches that I have never seen before yet if I tell fans I've never seen them, they look at me as if I've just stabbed their neighbour and barbequed their cat - This is one of them. IMO, this is absolutely fantastic, phenomenal even. Just not quite *****. The hatred is their, the action is there... There's just something that isn't and I really can't quite put my finger on it and it's frustrating the hell out of me. Maybe I'll write some more on this when I can be arsed, but for now... I loved it, but it won't be making my list, however it certainly has the potential to in a few months/years time should I rewatch it. YEAH IT'S ONE OF THOSE.

Aja Kong vs. Bull Nakano - (AJW 11/13/90)
You wanna' talk about comfort zones and venturing thousands of miles outside of them? Well yeah... This. My Joshi viewing is extremely limited and the only matches I have watched are some Manami Toyoda matches and a Kana match. So going from that to this was a wee bit of a culture shock, and it shows, because I really, really disliked this. Was it impressive? Sure as shit. Was it captivating? Damn right. Did I enjoy it? No. What kept me going through this was my morbid curiosity or as I like to call it - "Car Crash Syndrome". Maybe because I don't understand the feud, the style of wrestling, whatever... I just really disliked it. Too many things just didn't make sense and it drew me out as a viewer. NO FUCKING THANKS.

__________________________________________________

1. Eddy Guerrero vs. Rey Misterio Jr. - WCW 10/26/97

2. Edge vs. Matt Hardy - WWE 9/18/05
__________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment